cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:17:53 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> COFFMAN Steven wrote:
>
> > Actually, that's not entirely accurate. You can generate HTML with embedded
> > SVG images via XSL with no AWT.
> > http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/education/transforming-xml/xmltosvg/
> > index.html
> >
> > Cocoon generates images (other than the above example) via FOP. FOP only
> > requires AWT for bitmap graphics. FOP->PDF requires no AWT. FOP->SVG (it's
> > coming) will not require it either. Alternatively, use static image files.
>
> Can you please inform me how many xxx supports SVG, where xxx stands for;
>
> a)  Browsers

look at www.adobe.com/svg/ for a very cool Netscape plugin that renders
SVG directly in your browser.

> b)  Charting packages, (IBM shows that PIE charts can not be transformed in
> XSLT (without resorting to McLaurin's formulas)).

?? I don't get this. Why PIE charts cannot be transformed in XSLT? You
mean the grouping problem?

> c)  Drawing packages

on the site above you'll find a nice Illustrator 8.0.1 SVG exporter
which is very cool.

> The answer is "in the future" everything will be alright.

Totally, the future is SVG. And we are trying to convince Adobe to
donate their SVG code to the Mozilla project... how cool would that be?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.