cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2000 05:44:48 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> While I agree that the process of developing the java platform should be
> more open, I disagree with Kevin's continous rants about this. I heard
> rumors that Sun JDK 1.3 will come up final for all three platforms
> (win32, solaris and linux) at the same time. And this will be the case
> for all releases from now on.

I seriously doubt this since the 1.2 was not released on Solaris and Windows at the
same time. I can't recall the exact time difference, but also the Solaris release was
a Reference Implementation at first (lacking native threads?) and the Production
Release came out much later.

So, I think we can expect a similar pattern on 1.3. The Windows version first, with
full support, and Solaris and Linux releases coming out weeks later, and possibly
initially without the HotSpot performance engine.

Niclas