cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2000 05:28:29 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> "Timm, Sean" wrote:
> >
> > My opinion?  Your timeline listed Cocoon 2.0 as final in October (if I
> > remember correctly).  Any platform that doesn't have a working
> > implementation of Java 1.2 by October probably isn't a viable Java platform,
> > anyway.  Cocoon 2 is getting a fresh start with new code...don't base it off
> > of an old standard.  It sounds like 1.2 offers many things that could be
> > very useful in the new development, and I don't see any problems with going
> > to 1.2 that time won't resolve before Cocoon 2 is final, anyway.
>
> I believe I replied too to this thread, but the reply must have been
> lost on some plane between California and Italy...
> I agree completely w/ you. Even if _RIGHT_NOW_ in the first
> implementation of the code I tried not to include anything 1.1 specific
> (probably something _IS_ in the code, but it was involuntary) I think we
> should aim for JDK 1.2, expecially now that Sun and Blackdown are both
> pretty good shaped under Linux...
> If IBM doesn't follow with their VM (wich I believe is ready but not
> released), well... that's THEIR problem...

Why do you even need JDK 1.2?  I have found no need to migrate my code.
Only 10% harder and worth while in the long run.  Not going to -1 it but
I think it is a very bad idea.  Someday.

>         Pier (who just switched to JDK-1.3, and it's GREAT!)

Must be nice.  Can't wait until 2007 when SUN finally get's around to
permiting us Linux people to use it :)

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org