cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:28:41 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > As far as I can see it:
> > * Swing (not relevant)
>
> Swing can be used in 1.1 also.

I believe the meaning was the new Swing/AWT/Java2D

> > Really I shouldn't care as I use 1.2.2 for development, but we'll probably
> > be using IBM's 1.1.8 for Linux for real use as it is sooo much faster.
>
> Ok, this all comes down to the real issue: performance.
>
> I _KNOW_ that IBM JDK 1.2 for both win32 and linux (codename Colorado)
> is ready to ship and faster than 1.1.8 on both platforms.
>
> So, do you seriously believe that by October they would not release it?
>
> Well, if that doesn't happen and IBM has serious issues with Sun, having
> Cocoon tied to 1.2 is going to be the least of your troubles :)

On a sidenote... I WANT 1.2 :) :) :)
Performance-wise, the linux guys have still a long road ahead, before
complaining about the performances of their VMs... But that's another
topic...

We're talking about OCTOBER... Geee... More than 6 MONTHS... Someone
WILL DO SOMETHING for Linux by then, and if we develop on the 1.2 we'll
have more and more people going to ask to VM vendors to bring the 1.2
platform on their systems...

	Pier