cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:24:29 GMT
Ross Burton wrote:

> What are the actual advantages of 1.2.x opposed to 1.1.x?
>
> As far as I can see it:
> * Swing (not relevant)

Very relevant since Cocoon can produce images out of XMLs (like SVG
rendering). It's true, it's not "core" but it's one of the features we
cannot avoid to have.

> * Collections (appaling architecture, and if we really need powerful ADTs
> then use the JGL)

Collections are nice...

> * Classloader extensions?  I've heard this but are they useful?  It seems
> that the current problem with classloaders stems from bugs in JServ/Tomcat.

They'll be useful when thinking about XML page compilation (XSP)... This
is _CORE_ :)

> I like having the core system 1.1.x, and as many plugins 1.1.x too, but
> 1.2.x is they need to be.
>
> Really I shouldn't care as I use 1.2.2 for development, but we'll probably
> be using IBM's 1.1.8 for Linux for real use as it is sooo much faster.

I believe that, since our first non-beta release is scheduled for
october, we should try to focus on those environments that in october
will have a reliable JDK-1.2 implementation...
And IMVHO Linux will be one of those...

	Pier