cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:03:08 GMT
"Timm, Sean" wrote:

> My opinion?  Your timeline listed Cocoon 2.0 as final in October (if I
> remember correctly).  Any platform that doesn't have a working
> implementation of Java 1.2 by October probably isn't a viable Java platform,
> anyway.  Cocoon 2 is getting a fresh start with new code...don't base it off
> of an old standard.  It sounds like 1.2 offers many things that could be
> very useful in the new development, and I don't see any problems with going
> to 1.2 that time won't resolve before Cocoon 2 is final, anyway.

I believe I replied too to this thread, but the reply must have been
lost on some plane between California and Italy...
I agree completely w/ you. Even if _RIGHT_NOW_ in the first
implementation of the code I tried not to include anything 1.1 specific
(probably something _IS_ in the code, but it was involuntary) I think we
should aim for JDK 1.2, expecially now that Sun and Blackdown are both
pretty good shaped under Linux...
If IBM doesn't follow with their VM (wich I believe is ready but not
released), well... that's THEIR problem...

	Pier (who just switched to JDK-1.3, and it's GREAT!)