cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon/generatorsDirectoryGenerator.java
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:24:30 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Paul Russell wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 01:09:28PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > > Stefano,
> > >
> > > Why do all your commits include blank line changes? Can it be avoided?
> > > e.g...
> > > Nothing actually happened here!
> >
> > It's almost certainly Stefano's text editor converting tabs to
> > spaces or vice verse. Not a lot that can be done, other than
> > using a text editor that, uh, doesn't.
>
> Or we all agree to use JStyle or something similar before committing to
> convert to an agreed upon standard...

Please, not again. In my years of open source this comes up once and a
while.... but no matter how hard you try to enforce your coding style,
people will break it or will complain about them.

So, for example, I like 4 spaces tabs for java and 2/1 spaces tabs for
XML... say something like this to, say, Linus and he'll shoot you dead.
Period.

I like Sun coding styles for java and my own coding style for XML (that
is: indented if nested element, not indented if nested but not block...
which really doesn't make any algorithmical sense at all since there is
no way to tell from a DTD what is a block and what's not... anyway) but
this doesn't mean everyone should do that.

For example, I totally hate Pier's coding style since it's too
"compressed" for my own taste... but he's lazy and types less than I do.

See... it's like imposing the music I like on you... or my religion...
or my operating system or my text editor.

We could try to make everyone happy, yes, but are you sure you have the
energy to fight religious wars?

I say, let's do our best to uniform to coding standards or stuff we've
been doing for years... everything else is just a detail.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.