cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:47:47 GMT wrote:

> > Linux - yes
> Having tried to use the Sun JDK 1.1.2 on Linux for PHP, I am not so sure.
> It doesn't have a JIT (so it isn't competitive with IBM JDK 1.1.8 on speed
> IMHO), nor does it support native threads (making the JNI Invocation API by
> C programs which make use of system calls useless).  The latter made this
> JDK useless to me.

Well, as far as I can tell, the only non-supported thing about native threads
are that there is a message about it at start-up. I am using native threads,
and has been doing so for about 6 months (Blackdown first, Sun beta and Sun
final later) still without any problems. I am also dependent on JNI code
I/O blocking in a thirdparty package, so I know what you are talking about.
The JIT?? I must confess that I run interpreted, but the press release about
the Sun Linux committment clearly stated the incorporation of a JIT. Was it
from Inprise or Symantec??

> By contrast, I've had good experience with the Blackdown JDK.  This is not
> officially released, however, as it doesn't yet pass all the Sun
> compatibility tests.

I thought the i386 people are now under the Sun umbrella...

View raw message