cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:37:21 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > Are you saying Cocoon 2 will only run under Java 1.2?
>
> Win95/98/NT/2000 - yes
> Solaris - yes
> Linux - yes
> FreeBSD - yes (via linux emulation)
> AIX/AS400 - rumors that IBM JDK 1.2 was put on hold to put political
> pressure on Sun but it's ready to be shipped... may happen any day.
>
> So, what are we missing... oh yeah
>
> Beos
> QNX
> IRIX
> and last but not least MacOS

It is more than 1 year since the reference implementation of Java 2 was
released. In fact, the Java Technology Compaitibility Agreement clearly
states that the licensee must release a new version within 6 months from that
date. So, who is at fault in each case? Are we to expect any 1.2 on these
systems at all?? Considering that 1.3 is just being rolled out of the door.
Another aspect, what are the requirements for Xerces and Xalan?? Still
1.1? If they require 1.2, then I say there is no need to debate any further.

+1 for 1.2

Niclas