cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2 and accessing XML files
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:21:01 GMT
Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> Guys-
>
>     OK.  I made some silly mistakes in getting Cocoon 2 up, and first wanted
> to comment on those:
>
> 1) xslp.jar (which is in the CVS pull) is in the bin/ sub-dir, which usually
> is only created when Ant does a build... maybe put this in lib/, where all
> the libraries are in Cocoon 1.x?  I totally overlooked it, because that dir
> is usually 100% generated by Ant.

It's gone... does not exist anymore...

> 2) Even some minimal instructions on things like org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
> (in 1.x) mapping to org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet (in 2.x)
> wouldn't hurt - very easy to not see that and really have problems ;-)

doc time is next week in italy (and on the plane!)

> 3) Pier said XSL:P dependencies were going away, is that committed yet?

Yes... committed yesterday

> Now, I'm having new problems (but at least it's working, sort of...)
>
> I got the initial argument with the sample configuration.xml file fed into
> the Cocoon servlet, and mapped *.xml to that servlet.  I assume that is
> correct?

No, it's not... Cocoon 2 is not like Cocoon 1... It's a web application,
configured thru the sitemap... You shouldn't associate *.xml w/ it.

> The problem is every request to a *.xml file (for example,
> http://localhost:8080/text.xml) simply returns this:

> <title>Cocoon Version 2.0</title>
> <center><h1>Cocoon 2.0: Version 2.0</h1></center>
> <hr>
> Ready to process requests...
> <!-- PATH_INFO="null" -->

... Yep... that's what happens...

> In walking through the CocooServlet code, this would indicate that the
> variable uri is always coming up null.  Am I missing something fundamental
> about how to make a request for a specific file?  I feel like I am.  Sorry
> if some of this has been covered - I've been offline for a couple months
> trying to finish up this XML book deal, and now am trying to add Cocoon
> coverage... thanks for your help, all.

:) :) It's totally different... Now you need the sitemap... I'll update
the CVS with my example configuration ... Anyway don't put Cocoon 2.0
(yet!) in the book :)

> I also was wondering if there's anything (in old mail on on the website)
> that goes into some more detail on what is allowed with the sitemap?

The whole sitemap discussion is in the email archives. Or, for a tiny
example look here: http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/cocoon2.html

> Pier, Stefano, I'm addressing this right to you guys as well because I'm
> under some tight deadlines on getting this chapter (the last) to press, and
> really want Cocoon 2 coverage in there.  Thanks for putting up with some
> nagging over the next few days (warning!) ;-)

I can't help that much since I'll be flying out this sunday for Italy,
and so I'll be mostly off line from tonight until mon/tue.
Also, I don't know if it is a good idea to cover Cocoon 2.0 in a book
now... Given the current status it's too early, and when the book will
be printed, maybe there will be some major changes, expecially in the
sitemap syntax and features...

	Pier