cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Layout-driven vs. content-driven
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2000 03:12:04 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> FO is great, IMO, but it's a pain to learn from the spec... almost
> impossible without visual descriptions of the formatting layout. But as
> soon as you have visual tools for that... shees, have you seen the SVG
> example with the Adobe SVG Viewer as Netscape plugin? no?

I just read an article by Michael Leventhal
(http://xml.com/pub/au/Leventhal_Michael) regarding XSL in general, and FO in
particular.

It is a bit old, but I think it is relevant in our context.

http://xml.com/xml/pub/1999/05/xsl/xslconsidered_1.html
(terribly slow site...)

Sad(?) to say; he managed to convince me on a lot of points.

The article put forward some challenges, and I would like to see what kind of
arguments the Cocoon users/developers have to defend their choice, or have we all
been blinded by a "XSL anti-pattern"??

I realize there is great risk of flames in this subject, BUT any comments?

Niclas