cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Layout-driven vs. content-driven
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 11:27:19 GMT
Gerard van Enk wrote:

> > > If I use XInclude for the layout template how will I be able to
> > use frames,
> > > because all the information is in one file? Or will it be a
> > file with the
> > > url's to the content?
> >
> > No, you use XINCLUDE in the stylesheet the produces your huge PDF or the
> > one producing the non-framed version of your website, XLINK in the one
> > that produces the framed one.
> >
> > The thought is taking shape. It depends on where the final "merging"
> > should occour. If the final merging occours on the server side, you use
> > XINCLUDE, if on the client side, XLINK...
>
> I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying.
>
> Is the following possible with Xlink/Xpointer? I'm not finished reading
> everything from the Xlink/Xpointer documentation.......
>
> 1. There's a layout-template in which the layout is defined.
> 2. This template is merged with the content using Xinclude.
> 3. A stylesheet is applied to the merged file. This produces a frameset
> which is sent to the browser. This frameset contains URIs which can be
> translated by Cocoon into Xpointers. These Xpointers are pointers to parts
> of the merged file (step 2).

Why so? In case of HTML frames, the layout is simply translated into a
frameset and the URIs are translated. It will be the browser to call the
URIs. No need to mess around with XInclude or XPointers if you don't
need to "merge" it.

> 4. At stylesheet is applied to the parts of the merged file pointed to by
> the Xpointers. These are sent back to the browser.
>
> Is this possible or am I talking nonsens?

Sure it is, but what's the point? You get the same functionality anyway.
I'm probably missing something.

The XInclude part is done in case you want the layout to be rendered as
tables. Then you _need_ to include all the pieces into one, but the
browser is unaware of what's going on to generate the page. As it should
always be.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.