cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" <ch...@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: Bug reports...
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:35:14 GMT
> I disagree that Environment variables are a good way to go on Linux.
> a)  A lot of people have no idea how to set them permanently
> b)  Setting them permanently is different on different
> distrubtions on Linux.
> c)  There are different ways for users and all_users.
> d)  Which does not include processes started at boot time,
> such as JServ.

But if they ARE set, we should use them first. Otherwise it
will be hard to test new JVMs with the default start scripts.

Say I have a production tomcat running and want to test out
a new IBM JDK1.4 ...

export JAVA_HOME=~/superIBMjdk1.4
tomcat/bin/tomcat start

> I think many (most?) Linux users agrees with me. (But I may
> also be completely
> wrong).

I think setting JAVA_HOME should be encouraged, so use that
as the default, and only guess if its not set

chris.

-- Chris Stevenson ----------------------- SSABSA --
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
60 Greenhill Road, Wayville SA 5034, Australia
email: chris@ssabsa.sa.gov.au
phone: (08) 8372 7515
  fax: (08) 8372 7590