cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <Paul.Russ...@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Dynamic configuration.
Date Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:01:09 GMT
On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 11:07:07PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Paul Russell wrote:
> > This may well be a stupid question (having had only three hours sleep
> > last night, my single remaining braincell is totally failing to put
> > up a coherant front), but from what I can see, there is no alternative
> > in cocoon2 but to load the sitemap from a file. I can forsee a time when
> > we won't be reading the configuration from a file, we'll be generating
> > it on the fly.
>
> this is a very dangerous path. Tell me, _why_ would you want to do such
> a thing? don't tell me about XSLT-processing of sitemaps... that's
> something I would not suggest! (look at stylebook stylesheets... they
> are _hard_ to understand man)

Without getting too technical, basically because the site could be 'rather
complex' (and its structure changing from minute to minute), and hosted
across a number of boxes in obscure places.

Having thought about it with rather more caffine swimming around my synapses,
I think the best bet in this instance might be to write something bespoke
around xalan/xerces, because I must admit, I can't think of anyone else
being stupid enough to even try it ;)

> Yes, it would work. But I would not suggest this is something I would
> like to see implemented.

Yep, you're right. Taking my love of abstraction a little *too* far there,
perhaps ;)

Cheers,

Paul.