cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2000 17:34:53 GMT
> > While I agree that the process of developing the java platform should be
> > more open, I disagree with Kevin's continous rants about this. I heard
> > rumors that Sun JDK 1.3 will come up final for all three platforms
> > (win32, solaris and linux) at the same time. And this will be the case
> > for all releases from now on.
>
>I seriously doubt this since the 1.2 was not released on Solaris and
>Windows at the
>same time. I can't recall the exact time difference, but also the Solaris
>release was
>a Reference Implementation at first (lacking native threads?) and the
>Production
>Release came out much later.
>
>So, I think we can expect a similar pattern on 1.3. The Windows version
>first, with
>full support, and Solaris and Linux releases coming out weeks later, and
>possibly
>initially without the HotSpot performance engine.

Correct. More like months. Here is what they said a month ago:

"Blake: Sun plans to synch all three Sun supported platfoms (Solaris, Linux
and Windows).This won't happen in v 1.3, but is planned for 1.4. We might be
able to pull it off in a maintenance release between 1.3 and 1.4. The
release schedule for 1.3 is: Windows FCS last April Solaris FCS June/July
(only 1 Solaris Sun release! - not 2 as has been the case) Linux FCS
September "

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2000/jl0215.html

I think that means "Windows FCS Final in April" not "Windows FCS, last
April"! I mean, I've heard of silly shipping dates, but...

P.S. The source code to JDK1.2.2 for Linux is now available under SCSL, in
case anyone's interested.