cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Burton" <ross.bur...@mail.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:51:09 GMT
> > What do you guys think? Should we still aim for Java 1.1? Or just keep
> > the core 1.1 and add plugins that require 1.2 separate but still leaving
> > people with the ability to have basic functionality?
> >
> > Comments appreciated.
>
> We still have a good 6 months of development... If in 6 months they'll
> not catch up with a 1.2 JVM... Well, sorry...
> I just started using the 1.3, so, please, at least let me develop
> against the 1.2 :) :) :)

What are the actual advantages of 1.2.x opposed to 1.1.x?

As far as I can see it:
* Swing (not relevant)
* Collections (appaling architecture, and if we really need powerful ADTs
then use the JGL)
* Classloader extensions?  I've heard this but are they useful?  It seems
that the current problem with classloaders stems from bugs in JServ/Tomcat.

I like having the core system 1.1.x, and as many plugins 1.1.x too, but
1.2.x is they need to be.

Really I shouldn't care as I use 1.2.2 for development, but we'll probably
be using IBM's 1.1.8 for Linux for real use as it is sooo much faster.

Ross Burton