cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Washeim" <>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: my final proposal
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:54:44 GMT
>And Cocoon2 will have parts that will be 1.2 based but will try to make
>it easier for all users to make this transition as much painless as
>There are companies that are _investing_ on this project. Big bucks, I
>might say.

It hasn't been big bucks for us, thus far, but it is in the tens of
thousands of dollars in man hours, now. We have yet to contribute back to
ASF and are behind, but we will use the synergies of working WITH the
community. We'd have to spend the money one way or another and view this as
a 'wise' investment.

I hope other companies will contribute source, too.

>We, as a group, have the industrial responsibility to provide good
>software and the open source responsibility to keep the community
>I should point out that the second goal is many times harder than the
>first one (things that few commercial companies understand today!).
>So, while there is an urgent need for evolution, solid reasons not to
>throw away 1.1 compatibility were posed and since, after careful
>evaluatation, I found no specific need to have 1.1 incompatible code in
>cocoon's core, I made my proposal.
>I'm more than willing to upgrade to a newer java version ASAP but I
>don't want to even slightly create forking frictions in this project.
>Broken software can be repaired. Fragmented communities cannot.

Hear, hear! I've been trying to change a corporate culture to acknowledge
that we are NOT a branch of the military (which is how most companies are
structured). Namely, to become a citizen among citizen's and accept
responsibilities within the community. And not merely to satisfy legal or
regulatory requirements but to foster progress through collaboration. Trying
to teach a company to view profit as coming from collaboration as well as
competition. Not so easy.

In any case, we're getting to a point where a fluid exchange of ideas and
code base is now acceptable to my most senior management (eg, CEO). Next, to
change our workflow to accomodate 'releasing' to projects like cocoon.

Mark Washeim
Large Medium

>Stefano Mazzocchi      One must still have chaos in oneself to be
>                          able to give birth to a dancing star.
><>                             Friedrich Nietzsche
> Missed us in Orlando? Make it up with ApacheCON Europe in London!

View raw message