cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Burton" <ros...@lineone.net>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:31:34 GMT
> > As far as I can see it:
> > * Swing (not relevant)
> Swing can be used in 1.1 also.

What package is Swing under now?  When I last looked it was
com.sun.java.swing or something - is the download for 1.1 javax.swing yet?

> > * Collections (appaling architecture, and if we really need powerful
ADTs
> > then use the JGL)
> Collections can be used in 1.1 also.

> > * Classloader extensions?  I've heard this but are they useful?  It
seems
> > that the current problem with classloaders stems from bugs in
JServ/Tomcat.

> The problem could be worked around.

Good!

> > I like having the core system 1.1.x, and as many plugins 1.1.x too, but
> > 1.2.x is they need to be.

> There is only one place where we can't have 1.1: MemoryStore. I love the
> idea of weak references and I'm sure that we can get around some
> implementation limitations by fragmenting the memory... anyway, yeah,
> cocoon 2.0 could work on 1.1 just as it works on it right now... but we
> _must_ push this a little forward.

Damn.

> > Really I shouldn't care as I use 1.2.2 for development, but we'll
probably
> > be using IBM's 1.1.8 for Linux for real use as it is sooo much faster.
> Ok, this all comes down to the real issue: performance.
> I _KNOW_ that IBM JDK 1.2 for both win32 and linux (codename Colorado)
> is ready to ship and faster than 1.1.8 on both platforms.
> So, do you seriously believe that by October they would not release it?

How is it faster?  A better Hotspot, or just well written?  C'mon man -
spill the beans!  :-)

If Sun release Colorado by then, I'll be very happy.  Then I'll probably be
happy with 1.2 mainly, though I think it may be a good idea to implement
MemoryStore for Cocoon 2 like it is now, terrible but (sort of) working
1.1.x code.  Then, if need be,it can be plugged in.

Ross Burton