cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From John Morrison <john.morri...@experian.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Layout-driven vs. content-driven -Reply
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:46:17 GMT
I'm currently generating the following type of 'view'...

+-------+---------------------------------+
| index |  content                                |
+-------+---------------------------------+

I currently have 5 files.
data.xml  - this is the raw xml data that is included in the next two files.
index.xml - this simply pulls in data.xml and uses the stylesheet
index.html.xsl
content.xml - this pulls in data.xml and uses the stylesheet
content.html.xsl
content.html.xsl - does a transformation of the data into the display I
want.
index.html.xsl - transforms the data into a frame where the 'index' frame
is a javascript call and the content is a src=content.xml.  Heres where it
gets a little complex as the xml transformation in index.html.xsl generates
javascript code which is referenced in the first frame, ie
src="javaScript:parent.generateIndex()".

It took me a little while to come up with this layout but it appears to work
quite well.  If another browser hits the index.xml page then I would direct
them though a different xsl sheet and hense (potentially) miss out the
frame information.

Hope this helped (and if you have a better technique _please_ let me
know!).

John.

Oh, PS the only problem with this is that the cache looks at the stylesheet
and the xml file but doesn't take into consideration that the xml just
includes another one.  Upshot of this is that if data.xml is changed the
changes won't appear until the server is restarted.  Any ideas? Anyone?