cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From brian moseley ...@maz.org>
Subject Re: XSL/xalan and Localization
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:16:46 GMT
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Mike Engelhart wrote:

> My whole concern about all these ideas is that I didn't
> think Cocoon cached XSL style sheets thus the overhead
> of <xsl:import> and <xsl:include> on even a modestly
> busy site would be significant.  I may be wrong though
> as I haven't looked at Cocoons cache mechanism to see
> what's going on or the Xalan source code for that
> matter. if for example an <xsl:include> was cached and
> every reference to it just grabbed it out of memory than
> this wouldn't be a big deal but I don't think that's the
> way it works right now. Hopefully I'm wrong but I
> remember Scott mentioning cached style sheet objects a
> few weeks ago as something that Cocoon should take
> advantage of.

sure. this is one point i was addressing in my 'offline
compilation' thread last week. as far as stylesheets are
concerned, it might better be called 'offline stylesheet
combination' or something.

in our current non-xml-based system, we have a compiler that
turns a big nested directory structure full of files
containing name/value pairs into a berkeley db. so at
request time, we just have to pick the right db for the
request dimensions (CustomerX-LanguageY-ApplicationZ.db or
some such).

in the cocoon world, the analogous operation is picking the
right aggregate stylesheet. whether it's composited from
stylesheet fragments in memory or on disk shouldn't really
matter.