cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Variations on a theme by Cocoon
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:04:14 GMT
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> I can agree that producers can be generated from a cocoon pipeline
> process, but the point is (IMVHO)... Wouldn't it be too hard to
> configure and to track down bugs?
>
> Here is an example:

>   <process uri="xsp/*.html">
>     <producer name="cocoon://localhost/xsp/*.class"/>
>     <filter name="xslt">
>       <parameter stylesheet="xsp-html.xsl"/>
>     </filter>
>     <serializer name="html"/>
>   </process>
>   <process uri="xsp/*.class" source="sources/*.xsp">
>     <producer name="file"/>
>     <filter name="xslt">
>       <parameter stylesheet="xsp-java.xsl"/>
>     </filter>
>     <serializer name="javac"/>
>   </process>
>
> It's pretty simple now, but start considering a site with 20/30 process
> entries in the sitemap, divided in several partitions, doing URI names
> translation, IMHO, we can easily loose the track of what's happening.
> Also, IMVHO, it adds greater flexibility to the whole system, but DO WE
> REALLY NEED IT? I just see this "producer production" involved when we
> have to compile producers from XML (and that said, I just consider XSP -
> and JSP when they'll have a decent XML support..)
>
> I don't know... I feel "conservative"... But I'm kinda stubborn when
> thinking about revolutions...

+1. Personally, I think cocoon should focus more on functionality and code
maintainability than performance. More often than not, the primary cost
contraint for a project is personnel cost - programming and administration
- not hardware. This isn't always the case, but I tend to think it is for
the sorts of sites for which XML and XSLT are a good match.

- donald