cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject RE: Fixes for SQL processor
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2000 05:16:34 GMT
On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA) wrote:

> > > 1. There is no provision for a login timeout, required
> > > for those pesky slow C language ODBC connections :-)
>
> I have attached a patch for this. Unfortunately you can only
> set the LoginTimeout on a DriverManager, not an individual
> Driver, so I set it and then unset it after the connect.
> (I can't imagine why you might want to set a different login
> timeout, but hey...)

Patched, thanks very much! This is probably technically still not a good
way to handle this, but it's more a deficiency in the JDK than anything
else. Suppose there's another thread elsewhere the JVM that's messing with
the global DriverManager timeout at the same time as your code?
Unpredictable results. The JVM wasn't really designed with servlets in
mind. IMHO, these 'global' properties like DriverManager timeout and
URLFactory existence should be settable at thread or thread group level.
Oh well.

- donald