cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Changing XSP taglib namespace configuration behavior
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2000 00:16:58 GMT
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > > Meanwhile, I'll reply to the XSP questions, but when they deal with
> > > implementation details, I just don't know more than you do.
> > >
> > > Anyway, if you find something you don't like, you know the golden rule:
> > > fix it yourself! :)
> >
> > Me, I'm _trying_ to, but no one has voted on my proposal, so I'm just
> > cooling my heels right now.
>
> I vote +1 to your previous proposal.
>
> Also, could you please try to come up with a solution that doesn't
> require us to set a specific URL handler but that doesn't require you to
> change the configurations out of the box?

hmm. i'm not 100% sure i understand the desired constraints here. I think
what you're saying is that you want me to come up with a solution that
lets you map namespace URIs to .xsp files without using the resource://
URL? No wait, that doesn't make sense. What exactly do is the problem
we're trying to solve?

Anyway, what I'm thinking is that we should change the cocoon.properties
file so that instead of hardcoding prefixes like so:

processor.xsp.library.request.java =
resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/request.xsl

we hardcode the URIs instead:

processor.xsp.library.java = http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Request|resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/request.xsl

more descriptively:

processor.xsp.library.java = namespaceURI|xspURI

hmm. that syntax is atrocious. maybe it's time that we XMLized the
cocoon.properties file:

<processor name="xsp">
 <library>
  <language name="java"
   <namespace
    uri="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Request"
    lib="resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/request.xsl"
   />
  </language>
 </library>
</processor>

Hmm. that's much nicer. The rest of the the configuration file can be
rewritten as XML similarly. Anyone have any significant objections and/or
suggestions for rewriting cocoon's properties file in XML? Alternately,
does anyone have any alternate syntax suggestions for associating
namespace URIs with library URIs keeping the old properties file style
syntax?

- donald