cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: FW: Redirecting users in Cocoon
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:42:22 GMT
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Ed Wolpert wrote:
>
> > Whoops.... I just started following the redirect discussion now...
> > I take it there isn't a way without using XSP.
> >

> Not that I know of.  Anyone else have any idea?   A big concern I have about
> XSP and Cocoon is that they grab the outputstream before any output is
> actually sent to the browser.  This completely eliminates using
> RequestDispatcher's which in many cases can eliminate the need for redirect
> and the need to go back to the browser to do the redirect.  Also to do
> complex server side manipulations of the request you have to write
> everything into a session, redirect and then pull it out of the session
> again which is a pain in the ass.  Anyone know why this is so?  It really
> sucks.

Hmm, I was just poking through the code and I fail to see where cocoon
grabs the outputstream anywhere before this section:

            response.setContentType(page.getContentType());

            // get the output writer
            PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();

            // send the page
            out.println(page.getContent());

unless an exception occurs, in which case Frontend steps in to nicely
format the stacktrace. it should be a simple matter to check the response
object at this point and see if a redirect has been sent, and if so, not
to print anything. Right? If so, +1 for you to send in a patch to
accomodate that behavior.

- donald