cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: XSLT API Proposal
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:16:50 GMT

> Xalan can depend on that API, just
> like it depends on SAX and DOM, regardless of which implementation is in
> use.

At this point, the XSLT API proposal is not a Xalan or an xml.apache.org
proposal, but a vendor neutral proposal for a general Java API for XSLT.
Or, it is sounding like at least Mike Kay and Oracle are willing to have
this conversation.

> I've talked to James Duncan Davidson about adding the serializer API to
> the next release of the Java XML API.

I believe the serializer API and the XSLT API should go to the same place.
Personally I prefer org.xml.xslt and org.xml.serializer packaging, to a
javax.xml.xslt and javax.xml.serializer packaging.

-scott

                    Assaf Arkin

                    <arkin@exoffi        To:     Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus <Scott_Boag@lotus.com>

                    ce.com>              cc:     Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>,
cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org,
                                         xalan-dev@xml.apache.org, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>,
Steve Muench
                    02/05/00             <smuench@us.oracle.com>, Adam Winer <awiner@us.oracle.com>

                    12:46 PM             Subject:     Re: XSLT API Proposal

                    Please

                    respond to

                    xalan-dev

> Yes, absolutely.  I realized I hadn't addressed xsl:output just after I
> sent the note.  But, I'm not quite sure what to do about it.  We need a
> class like Assaf Arkin's OutputFormat class (see the Xerces Serialize
> classes), but I don't want to make a class that's redundent to his, but
the
> interfaces obviously shouldn't be dependent on Xerces either.  Assaf, do
> you have any ideas on this?

In my opinion the whole serializer API should be decoupled from Xerces.
In fact, today it's not dependent on Xerces and you can use it
standalone, we just included it in Xerces for convenience to Xerces
users. It could also be distributed separately of Xerces.

I've talked to James Duncan Davidson about adding the serializer API to
the next release of the Java XML API. Xalan can depend on that API, just
like it depends on SAX and DOM, regardless of which implementation is in
use.

arkin