cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: disable-output-escaping
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 05:35:01 GMT

Actually, I think I made a bit of a mistake... for DOMs, I don't think I am
doing anything with disable-output-escaping anymore, for the very reason
that you would see a PI in non-Xalan serializers (and also the standard
changed in the last draft so that it doesn't need to be supported for
internal DOM nodes used for variables and the like).  I just looked at the
Cocoon code, it does look like they are using Xerces serializers in any
case.

What I do for disable-output-escaping is, if the DocumentHandler interface
that Xalan writes to supports:

public interface RawCharacterHandler
{
  public void charactersRaw (char ch[], int start, int length)
    throws org.xml.sax.SAXException;
}

It will write to that method, otherwise it just writes the characters.  In
the Xalan FormatterToDOM it implements:

  public void charactersRaw (char ch[], int start, int length)
    throws SAXException
  {
    String s = new String(ch, start, length);
    append(m_doc.createProcessingInstruction("xslt-next-is-raw",
"formatter-to-dom"));
    append(m_doc.createTextNode(s));
  }

But I no longer have the class tagged with the RawCharacterHandler
interface, for the reasons I named above, so this doesn't get called.

Perhaps we could make this optional somehow.  Assaf, is this PI something
you might be convinced to support?  I notice you do support unescaping in
the serializers, so maybe we just need to come up with a convention for DOM
nodes?

BTW, while I'm looking at the Cocoon code, the way Cocoon is currently set
up, I don't see how any of the xsl:output options are supported.  But I
could be misreading the code?

Any ideas on how to better support this would certainly be welcome.  But,
Mike, the bottom line is I don't see how you can do this right now without
changing code in Cocoon.  Assaf or Stefano might have some ideas.  Someone
must have run into this before now.

-scott

                    Mike Engelhart

                    <mengelhart@eart        To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    htrip.com>              cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                                            Subject:     Re: disable-output-escaping

                    02/07/00 11:48

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to cocoon-dev

Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:

> Yes, it is supported in Xalan, and through some nasty tricks, it should
be
> supported in the DOM configuration of Cocoon.  It does this by sneaking
in
> a PI in the DOM tree.  If they are using a non-xalan serializer for the
DOM
> (i.e. the Xerces serializer), this may not work.

Since I have the default Xerces configuration of Cocoon, is there any way
around this?
> Do you mean, instead of getting "<TABLE" you are getting "&lt;TABLE"?

Yep...

Mike