cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerard van Enk" <gerard.van....@eo.nl>
Subject extensions in public URIs [was: RE: Variations on a theme by Cocoon]
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:22:08 GMT
> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > Gerard van Enk wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this what we want???? See <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI>
> >
> > Nope...
> >

> That was an absolute :o)

Sorry, It wasn't very clear what I was trying to say........

> I am not sure what Gerard is hinting, or what Pier is so negative about.

I was trying to say, we must take a look at this document and try to use it.
That means Cocoon must try not to rely on extensions to function, but I
don't know if this is possible.

> But my understanding from the articles, is URI persistence over time,
> long time. There are a few alerters in the article, such as use of
> extensions, topic mapping and exposure of technologies used.
>
> These are valid concerns in the Cocoon context.  And while we develop
> Cocoon we must take into considerations that people will be able to use
> Cocoon in a URI persistent manner. This is largely an educational issue,
> more than a technical, except if Cocoon depends on extensions to
> function. We need to clearify in Cocoon what would be PUBLIC URIs and
> internal URIs. The former should be allowed to take the form described
> in the document above and elsewhere, whereas the internal ones are
> non-critical.

One part of the sitemap is based on extensions.....see Piers examples.......

Is it possible to avoid the use of extensions in public uris? Anybody?

Gerard