cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jerm <je...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject XML Graphics
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:11:38 GMT
Hi All,

"N01SE" was the first site I generated from XML and XSL:

    <http://www.kettlesyard.co.uk/noise/>

One of the aspects of the site are the threads that cross-link the various
exhibits, people, texts etc. So far, the site only has a text interface to these
threads (and one that is not insanely great enough yet :)

I'd like to start developing interactive graphical views of the site, as maps;
basically line drawings with hilighting, text popups, urls etc.
I want to be able to generate these automatically from the same XML that the
text version is made from.

I don't think SMIL has the capability to do what I need and SVG IMHO is not
ready for real sites yet.

I could get part of the way with Bitmaps and Client-side Image Maps, though
would prefer something a little more sophisticated. Can one render SVG to Gif?

Flash would be good, though the (binary) file format is now in the public domain
I don't think there is a Flash Formatter yet :) I don't think Flash can import
XML either.

Shockwave can with the XML Parser XTRA and Java Applets can with a lightweight
Parser like Aelfred(?).

I am looking into writing a little engine that can draw simple vector-based maps
from XML files loaded on the fly, probably one file per view. I would not expect
to have vector info in the XML but for the engine to work out for itself how to
represent the structure.

Can anyone suggest any other currently feasable alternatives?

thanks Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

    <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>        <pager:jermq@sms.genie.co.uk>