cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jerm <>
Subject SMIL & SVG
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:29:12 GMT
Dear All,

I have been playing with SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language).

Apple have recently released QuickTime 4.1 for MacOS and WinOSes that has
support for SMIL plus some extensions of their own.

SMIL works in both the MoviePlayer application and the browser plug-in.

I have not tried outputting SMIL from Cocoon yet but will do soon.
I am not sure of the correct mime-type, BTW.

Here is a sample, just so you can see what it looks like:

            <root-layout id="rl" width="600" height="250"
            <region id="textMovie" left="0" top="50" width="600" height="25"/>
            <region id="textArea" left="50" top="0" width="600" height="150"/>
            <region id="audio" left="50" top="150" width="120" height="16"/>
            <region id="backImage" width="100%" height="100%" fit="hidden"/>

This loads several assets; an image, a text file, an audio movie and a text
movie, then builds a composite movie on the fly. <par> plays it's children in
parallel, <seq> defines a sequence.

The only method I have found so far of applying styling to text is to use
QuickTime Text Track markup, which appears to be converted into a movie on the

    {QTtext} {width:300} {height:200}{font:Geneva} {bold} {size:28}
    {anti-alias:on} {keyedText:on} {justify:right}
    One upon a time in a cubicle not so far away,
    A tired but dedicated engineer
    Worked on through the night...

SMIL handles both Streamed and Static media.

Smil has a <switch> structure allowing on the fly choice of media elements based
on a range of tests including: screen-depth, system-bitrate, system-language

There is some interactivity built into SMIL, it has Anchors, can have hotspot
areas, which can be time-sensitive; you can load new presentations, including
being able to address fragments, you can target browser frames with urls, I
don't think you can target regions interactivly. QuickTime has it's own schemes
for adding interctivity, some APIs are more exposed than others.

Adobe have released a set of SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) Plugins, one for
Illustrator 8.0.1 (Export and Place) and one for NetScape 4.7 (only).

This stuff appears to work. SVG appears to be heading towards a dynamic model,
though is not there yet.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre