cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Lavoie <philippe.lav...@cactus.ca>
Subject RE: What do you want to know how to do?
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 17:04:56 GMT
> From: Brett McLaughlin [mailto:brettmclaughlin@earthlink.net]
> I think this is probably not suited as well for a single chapter
> covering web publishing frameworks; EJB and XML are too big
> to fit into
> one book together almost, let alone one chapter.  However (here it
> comes, another shameless plug...), once I get the XML book
> done, I have
> 1/2 of another book (again for O'Reilly) done, and will be finishing
> that up.  It is actually Enterprise Applications in Java, and
> that will
> be more on point for you.  It covers building a front to back
> solution,
> and it uses EJB, database peers, servlets, Cocoon, etc., and that
> actually does this very thing.

Perhaps a tutorial on how to plug Cocoon with an existing application ?

> This is something I can address briefly; keep in mind that (this) book
> is focused on XML, not security or these sort of issues (it's not even
> focused on Cocoon, but Cocoon is one topic I will address).

Actually security should be tought. If you look at OFX, the messages going
back nd forth need to be authenticated prior to perform fincancial
transactions. You could perhaps suggest a protocol that allows two
application to communicate using XML in a secure fashion. Perhaps I worry
too much and noboby likes that kind of information :)

> >         - I'd like a tutorial on how to use JASS with Cocoon, i.e.
> > permission based dynamic generation of content (sometimes
> implemented as a
> > role based application).
>
> JASS?  What is that?  This sounds again like what I wrote about above,
> writing a J2EE style app using Cocoon.

Java Authentication and Authorization Services (JAAS)

An example would be that you can edit your own user profile, however you
can't edit others profile unless you are an administrator. Other examples
include the
features (functions) available to you (usually on a menu) that depend on who
you are. For instance, perhaps you can only view public information until
you log on the site, in which case you get access to public and private
information for FAQ, howto, etc.

There are different ways to handle the above, most require Cocoon to
dynamically expand a <menu> tag to be suitable for a given user. But it can
also affect the XSLT files (suppose the color scheme changes based on who
you are).

Perhaps a tutorial on how to implement 'user preference based output'. User
preferences might change color schemes, go from basic to advance menus, etc.

I'm sure there is at least a chapter there :)

> > PS Did you read my post (long) on Cocon being an infrastructure.
>
> No, sorry.  I've been offline for a bit, getting things to SAX 2.0 has
> kept me busy.

The article tries to emphasize what makes Cocoon unique. One of the thing
that
I find makes it unique is the fact that you can forget it's there :)

Phil