cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject cache thoughts
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:39:08 GMT
I've been mulling over the cache issue over the last 24 hours and have some
thoughts i'd like to air out.

In my particular development instance, I actually don't want the final
output page cached because the data is retrieved from a real-time
transaction system.  That said, what I do think needs to be cached are the
style sheets that are used to generate the final output.  Reading in one or
more stylesheets from disk is always going to be slow especially if you're
using includes or imports.  It seems to me that the xalan processing speed
is pretty amazing.  All of my pages are completely dynamic XSP down to the
localized text being read out of java.util.ResourceBundle's and my pages are
relatively quickly (about 2.5-3x slower than a static html file) including
reading 2 stylesheets and all the dynamic XSP stuff and the fact that it's
running through Apache->JServ->Tomcat->Cocoon and back out.(Yikes that's a
mess!!).  I would think that not having to read in the XSL sheet would
significantly speed up the process.

Any thoughts.  If this is a valid assumption is this something that needs to
be cached by Cocoon or by xalan?  If it's cocoon, would the existing cache
model work well for this?

Mike