cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: Variations on a theme by Cocoon
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:32:26 GMT
Andy Lewis wrote:

> I have Cocoon 1.5 running on an internal server - NT 4, Netscape 3.63, JRun
> 2.3.3, Sun JDK 1.2.2, COMPAQ Proliant 1600  Dual Pentium II 300, 512M RAM,
> and about 37G of RAID 5 disk on a caching SMART Array controller. The web
> site is about 2000 pages. With only a dozen people browsing it regularly, we
> get out of memory errors, and dismal performance. We also have a somewhat
> complex XSLT transformation going on - about 500 lines of templates totaling
> about 30k with lots of conditionals....
>
> That's as close to a large production site as I get with it. We actually
> produce static HTML files to dump onto the production web servers.
>
> I have another smaller site on a Celeron 333 running Linux, IBM JDK 1.1.8,
> with a Sybase backend however. It is a much smaller site, with a much
> simpler stylesheet, but far more dynamic, and it runs great.

Are you sure it's not one of the pieces of the puzzle like JRun (or NT for
that matter)?  I know JRun has gotten a bad rap on the JSP mailing list.

Have you tried copying your big site to the Linux box and seeing if the same
problems are there? (not sure if that's feasible).  It could be something
other than cocoon?