cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: Variations on a theme by Cocoon
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:14:34 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> +1. Personally, I think cocoon should focus more on functionality and code
> maintainability than performance. More often than not, the primary cost
> contraint for a project is personnel cost - programming and administration
> - not hardware. This isn't always the case, but I tend to think it is for
> the sorts of sites for which XML and XSLT are a good match.
I'm not 100% sure that your cost analysis is true (but i'm not an analyst
either ;-)).  First of all, in reality, *all* sites (other than simple home
pages) are a good match for XML/XSLT.  Second, if you need to have 25
machines to do the work that one or two SMP machines *could* do if their web
software was tuned correctly then your theory fails.  I have no idea what
Cocoon's performance is (and it's pretty clear that nobody else does either
because no one has come out and said they have implemented Cocoon on a large
production site) so it's hard to say.  As a side note, it really would be
nice to have more than just a JMeter hit on a Cocoon application to
determine it's performance level and whether tuning this is an urgent need
or not.  JMeter pretty much sucks for determining anything when you're
dealing with complex dynamic sites.