cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Waddington" <si...@zapnetworks.com>
Subject RE: Problem with caching?
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:46:55 GMT
Phew, I've been experiencing exactly the same problem and its been driving
me nuts.  I hadn't managed to determine exactly how to repeat the problem
though since some dynamic pages seem to work happily with two browsers (WML
and HTML based) but others don't and get stuck in HTML format regardless of
the browser requesting.  I've never seen the other situation where the page
is always served in WML format though.

At least I know there is a workaround of turning off caching, but that's not
a very attractive one since half the fun is showing people the embedded
comment Cocoon generates with the "served in xyz ms".

-----Original Message-----
From: Corda, Ugo [mailto:Ugo.Corda@usa.xerox.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 4:41 PM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Cc: Stidd, John
Subject: Problem with caching?

I call Cocoon 1.5 alternatively from different browsers. When I use IE4 or
Netscape, Cocoon should return HTML. When I use IE5, Cocoon should return
XML. (See the PIs below).

If I start with a fresh Cocoon, everything works fine. But after the pages
get cached strange things happen (which don't happen when caching is turned
off). Here are two sequences where I noticed the problem:

Netscape - returns HTML;
IE5 - returns XML;
Netscape - returns XML

IE5 - returns XML;
IE4 - returns HTML;
IE5 - returns HTML

In other words, it looks like the page cached by the second browser call
affects the third browser call (which should be identical to the first call,
but is not).

Here are the settings in my cocoon.properties file:

browser.0 = explorer5=MSIE 5
browser.1 = explorer4=MSIE 4
browser.2 = explorer=MSIE
browser.3 = pdqbrowser=pdQbrowser
browser.4 = opera=Opera
browser.5 = lynx=Lynx
browser.6 = java=Java
browser.7 = wap=Nokia-WAP-Toolkit
browser.8 = netscape=Mozilla

And here are the PIs in the XML file:

<?xml-stylesheet href="tam-html.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="tam-html.xsl" type="text/xsl" media="explorer4"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="tam-xml.xsl" type="text/xsl" media="explorer5"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="tam-html-palm.xsl" type="text/xsl"
media="pdqbrowser"?>

(where tam-html.xsl generates HTML, and tam-xml.xsl is the identity
transform).

Thank you,
Ugo