cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: [RT] "To Cocoon2 and beyond" :)
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:52:51 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip>
> > >  a) use the RSS info with user preferences to create specific collection
> > > of resources (sort of a portal building toolkit, which is what the
> > > JetSpeed project is all about)
> >
> > Are we going to invent JetSpeed again???? Or are we going to integrate
> > Jetspeed with Cocoon???
>
> Yes. Both JetSpeed and Turbine are trying to incorporate Cocoon
> capabilities into them... I think they can't possibly do this without
> loosing much of the functionality, expecially the sitemap.
>
> So I'll push to go the other way around: reimplement JetSpeed on top of
> Cocoon.
>
> > I think here's a big opportunity for Avalon, just make Jetspeed services
> > Avalon-Components of the Block Jetspeed and Cocoon can use it (if Cocoon
> > uses Avalon). Or is this not the way to go????
>
> Well, actually, there is nothing that JetSpeed does as a functionality
> that Cocoon cannot do by itself. JetSpeed is a complex servlet, if you
> wish, a portal-toolkit. I'd like to create web applications on top of
> Cocoon using JetSpeed code but moving it over Cocoon.
<snip>

My ears are burning :)

Jetspeed isn't really a technology like Cocoon or Tomcat or anything.
It is more just a place to take multiple projects and incorporate them
into one framework (RSS and
OCS/Messaging/Projects/iCalendar/Discussion/etc).  Avalon will be big
there.  You can use Cocoon to drive Jetspeed 100% if you want.  It
doesn't care.

Jetspeed really just sits on top of Turbine/Cocoon/Tomcat to provide a
Portal.  This includes user subscription to multiple XML data
sources/user authentication/ etc.  I am +1 at federating this out.  I
was really strong at creating the Turbine project because most of the
code would have had to be done within Jetspeed.

You comment "I'd like to create web applications on top of Cocoon using
JetSpeed code but moving it over Cocoon"  doesn't really apply.  The
only non-Cocoon code is the Portlet API and this is only a way to create
multiple content sources and allow multiple people to subscribe to them
and have Jetspeed cache them locally.   You can use Cocoon all you want
form within Jetspeed :)

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton