cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 & Avalon
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:40:57 GMT
Gerard van Enk wrote:

> > > But Cocoon is going to be a Block so that it can be used inside an
> > > Avalon-configuration?
> >
> > Not yet :)
> >
> > Ok, you asked for it... here is my vision of the future... mind you, not
> > so close future, but you can bet we're going to get there sooner of
> > later!
> >
> > I picture JAMES + Tomcat + Cocoon + JAM all residing inside an Avalon
> > framework.
> >
> > If you don't know what JAM is, wait a sec... we'll get there :)
> >
> > The Cocoon engine will be a block, but Tomcat and James will connet to
> > it thru "adapting" classes that wrap the block and make it
> > "avalon-neutral" to be executable in other environments.
> >
> > Thes adaptors will be an HTTPServlet and MailServlet. Cocoon on the
> > other hand, might be used as a service from other blocks without
> > adapting classes.
> >
> > (warning: if you don't know avalon terminology, go and find out at
> > http://java.apache.org/framework/ or ignore this message)
>
> Are these adapting classes already defined by Avalon? I can't remember
> reading about these classes in the Avalon stuff.....

No, but they're simpler than what you worry: they are simple a class
that implements the servlet interface (mail or http) and call the
"working" methods of the Cocoon block.

To get dirty: simply make org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon implement Block and
you're done :)

This is called "forward compatibility" :)

> > JAM is Pier's "Java Answering Machine"... you find pieces of it in the
> > whiteboard CVS module inside java.apache.org CVS.
> >

> Aha....interesting. I'll check out the whiteboard module!

Yes. Most of it was lost on a NT disk crash a while back. (don't ask
Pier about NT I/O subsystem  ;), but the ideas and some code are still
valid.

> > JAM will be an Avalon block that connects to your modem/fax thru Java
> > Serial Interface and drives your fax and answering machine.
> >
> > ---------------
> >
> > Now, let's see a couple of things you'll be able to do with this "Apache
> > Java BackOffice"
> >
> > 1) mail-fax-web integration, all based on XML!
> >
> > 2) servlets will allow you to customize your system without knowing
> > nasty programming languages or complex solutions. HttpServlets will do
> > web, MailServlets will do mail, FaxServlets will do fax and if possible,
> > VoiceServlets will handle DTMF tones or simple voice recognition.
> >
> > If you think about it once you have something like this and a solid
> > database on the back, you're done... more, with support for CORBA
> > integration from Java, you can connect with stuff like credit-card
> > managers or other complex systems with no particular problems.
> >
> > We plan to make a complet platform for developing the server-side
> > applications that you need, for both your public web site or your
> > intranet. All based on Java technology and standard APIs, all
> > modularized and easily enhanced, all based on the XML publishing model.
> >
> > It's not a matter of "if", but just a matter of "when" :)
>
> And with more people working on this, the "when" will be getting sooner and
> sooner ;-)

We wish to come up with a complete JAMES 1.0b distribution in a few
weeks, all with SMTP + POP3 + MailServlets + DNS hooks + some useful
mail servlets (majordomo, i'm-on-vacation, timestamp)

Don't throw away your sendmail yet... but when JAMES is out, you will
count it's days :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.