cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 & Avalon
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:47:44 GMT
Gerard van Enk wrote:

> > > I've got a question about the relationship between Cocoon2 and
> > Avalon. Is
> > > Cocoon2 going to use all the Avalon-interfaces?
> >
> > No.
>
> But Cocoon is going to be a Block so that it can be used inside an
> Avalon-configuration?

Not yet :)

Ok, you asked for it... here is my vision of the future... mind you, not
so close future, but you can bet we're going to get there sooner of
later!

I picture JAMES + Tomcat + Cocoon + JAM all residing inside an Avalon
framework.

If you don't know what JAM is, wait a sec... we'll get there :)

The Cocoon engine will be a block, but Tomcat and James will connet to
it thru "adapting" classes that wrap the block and make it
"avalon-neutral" to be executable in other environments.

Thes adaptors will be an HTTPServlet and MailServlet. Cocoon on the
other hand, might be used as a service from other blocks without
adapting classes.

(warning: if you don't know avalon terminology, go and find out at
http://java.apache.org/framework/ or ignore this message)

JAM is Pier's "Java Answering Machine"... you find pieces of it in the
whiteboard CVS module inside java.apache.org CVS.

JAM will be an Avalon block that connects to your modem/fax thru Java
Serial Interface and drives your fax and answering machine.

---------------

Now, let's see a couple of things you'll be able to do with this "Apache
Java BackOffice"

1) mail-fax-web integration, all based on XML!

2) servlets will allow you to customize your system without knowing
nasty programming languages or complex solutions. HttpServlets will do
web, MailServlets will do mail, FaxServlets will do fax and if possible,
VoiceServlets will handle DTMF tones or simple voice recognition.

If you think about it once you have something like this and a solid
database on the back, you're done... more, with support for CORBA
integration from Java, you can connect with stuff like credit-card
managers or other complex systems with no particular problems.

We plan to make a complet platform for developing the server-side
applications that you need, for both your public web site or your
intranet. All based on Java technology and standard APIs, all
modularized and easily enhanced, all based on the XML publishing model.

It's not a matter of "if", but just a matter of "when" :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.