cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cache thoughts
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:52:55 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Timm, Sean wrote:
>
> > Cocoon *does* cache XSL stylesheets (see the getStylesheet method in
> > XSLTProcessor.java...just not particularly well.  :)  I attempted a fix, but
> > there were more dependencies than just what I changed, so the fix was pulled
> > for the 1.7 release.
> >
> > - Sean T.
> Really?? What does it not do particularly well then???

The system is not perfect, but the best we can do for processor
abstracted, DOM-based implementations. In fact, we work caching the
stylesheet parsed DOM in memory.

Of course, if would be _far_ better to cache the compiled stylesheet in
memory, but that would need we forget about processor abstraction and
stick with Xalan. (unless the proposed APIs for XSLT come out and are
implemented by both Xalan and others)

> There doesn't seem
> to be any difference whether or not the stylesheet is being read off of disk
> or out of the cache in my experience?

Probably because Xerces is amazingly fast :)

> During development I've been checking
> the cocoon comments at the bottom of the pages and they vary by 10ths of ms
> in almost all cases.

Well, I admit I didn't test how much that would save in latest cocoons,
but in Cocoon 1.3 or something when it was implemented, it saved you
_a_lot_.

Anyway, fixing this now it's pointless... we'll do a better job in
Cocoon2, caching compiled stylesheets with sort of "decorators" all over
the place.

Not that I really like decorators, but speed is something we
_definately_ have to improve by order of magnitude.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.