cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: extensions in public URIs [was: RE: Variations on a theme by Cocoon]
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:47:09 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I knew that part... my question is: how do I signal this to Cocoon?
> > mod_jserv is not powerful enough (for what I know, Pier?).
>
> >From my small knowledge of apache internals, mod_jserv is not powerful
> enough, we'd need to modify it for our needs...
> The problem is that I have to set a handler (I believe) for every
> matching, and that handler information must be forwarded to the servlet
> engine (and then to the servlet), so there's no "standard" way for doing
> it...
>
> And also, if we remove pattern matching from Cocoon, and let it do to
> the HTTP daemon, we would be tied to the web server (preventing the
> sitemap use in offline mode, and so on...)..
>
> All that said is AFAIK... So, correct me if I'm wrong please...

OK, setting a handler is probably the wrong thing to do. More
appropriate would be to match environment variables. I'm not suggesting
you do this _instead_ of pattern matching, I'm suggesting you provide it
as an alternative. Then all mod_jserv needs to do is to make the
environment available (if it doesn't already).

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Y19100 no-prize winner!