cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: extensions in public URIs [was: RE: Variations on a theme by Cocoon]
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:15:32 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Ben Laurie wrote:

Apache

> > > The issue is that if I want some particular subset of URLs to be served
> > > by a particular Cocoon processing chain, but _also_ have, say,
> > > restricted access, I have to ensure that the Cocoon and Apache configs
> > > match exactly. This is difficult and risky. The simple fix is to allow
> > > (but not require) the sitemap to match on handler (or environment
> > > variables, which can also be set in a variety of circumstances in
> > > Apache), then the sysadmin can choose which approach to take. If you
> > > also (optionally) allow the source file to be the result of Apache doing
> > > the URL translation (which is available in the environment), then the
> > > problem is solved without compromising the generality of sitemaps.
> >
> > Very good point.
> >
> > Now the question: you need a mod_cocoon to do that, right? sorry, but
> > I'm a total apache ignorant.
>
> No, like I said, you just match on handler or environment - which is
> already taken care of in the core Apache machinery.

Yes, I knew that part... my question is: how do I signal this to Cocoon?
mod_jserv is not powerful enough (for what I know, Pier?).

Suppose I have a pipeline associated as a location/directory handler...
now what? Who invoques Cocoon? I suspect you need a module not for
taking care of location/directory but to make this request go thru
Cocoon...

Then, if this is the case, we are breaking platform portability... which
is not a good thing to do...

Hmmmm.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.