cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: extensions in public URIs [was: RE: Variations on a theme by Cocoon]
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:23:44 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >
> > Gerard van Enk wrote:
> >
> > > One part of the sitemap is based on extensions.....see Piers examples.......
> > >
> > > Is it possible to avoid the use of extensions in public uris? Anybody?
> >
> > Pier has pointed it out, but it doesn't look obvious, it is a history issue.
> > SiteMap is not driven by extensions.
> >
> > his
> > <process uri="/docs/*.html" source="/some/other/place/*.xml">
> >
> > makes it looks like a extension matching. But it is not.
> > If one chooses to use the W3C recommendation (or whatever it is), one could
> > just use...
> >
> > <process uri="/docs/*" source="/some/other/place/*.xml">
> >
> > ...instead.
> > Cocoon is thereby providing a lot more power to the Webmaster to be able to
> > maintain the URIs over time, no matter what happens to the content location,
> > format or generation methods.
>
> Y'know, the thing that's worrying me about all this is that Apache
> already has considerable power to do this kind of matching, and the
> archetypal Apache way to achieve the desired effect is to use
> <Files...>, <Location...> and friends to set a handler. The sitemap
> should then translate the handler into an appropriate action. To give a
> full example, corresponding to this earlier example:
>
> <process uri="*" source="/src/*">
>   <filter name="xslt">
>     <parameter name="stylesheet" value="tohtml.xsl"/>
>   </filter>
>   <serializer name="html">
> </process>
>
> becomes...
>
> httpd.conf:
>
> <LocationMatch .*>
> DocumentRoot /src
> SetHandler sitemap-tohtml
> </LocationMatch>
>
> sitemap:
>
> <process handler="sitemap-tohtml">
>   <filter name="xslt">
>     <parameter name="stylesheet" value="tohtml.xsl"/>
>   </filter>
>   <serializer name="html">
> </process>
>
> This leaves the URL and filesystem configuration where it can meet with
> all other URL and filesystem config (i.e. in the Apache config file),
> and seperates the Cocoon specific parts in the sitemap.

I am worried too.

I do see the overlap and I do see the problems.... probably Cocoon might
well get merged in Apache 2.1... or even become the next apache using
tomcat + the protocol native libraries... who knows.

Anyway, don't forget Cocoon is a servlet, thus should not presume
anything about the running environment.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.