cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: extensions in public URIs [was: RE: Variations on a theme by Cocoon]
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:00:32 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Gerard van Enk wrote:
>
> > One part of the sitemap is based on extensions.....see Piers examples.......
> >
> > Is it possible to avoid the use of extensions in public uris? Anybody?
>
> Pier has pointed it out, but it doesn't look obvious, it is a history issue.
> SiteMap is not driven by extensions.
>
> his
> <process uri="/docs/*.html" source="/some/other/place/*.xml">
>
> makes it looks like a extension matching. But it is not.
> If one chooses to use the W3C recommendation (or whatever it is), one could
> just use...
>
> <process uri="/docs/*" source="/some/other/place/*.xml">
>
> ...instead.
> Cocoon is thereby providing a lot more power to the Webmaster to be able to
> maintain the URIs over time, no matter what happens to the content location,
> format or generation methods.

Y'know, the thing that's worrying me about all this is that Apache
already has considerable power to do this kind of matching, and the
archetypal Apache way to achieve the desired effect is to use
<Files...>, <Location...> and friends to set a handler. The sitemap
should then translate the handler into an appropriate action. To give a
full example, corresponding to this earlier example:

<process uri="*" source="/src/*">
  <filter name="xslt">
    <parameter name="stylesheet" value="tohtml.xsl"/>
  </filter>
  <serializer name="html">
</process>

becomes...

httpd.conf:

<LocationMatch .*>
DocumentRoot /src
SetHandler sitemap-tohtml
</LocationMatch>

sitemap:

<process handler="sitemap-tohtml">
  <filter name="xslt">
    <parameter name="stylesheet" value="tohtml.xsl"/>
  </filter>
  <serializer name="html">
</process>

This leaves the URL and filesystem configuration where it can meet with
all other URL and filesystem config (i.e. in the Apache config file),
and seperates the Cocoon specific parts in the sitemap.

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Y19100 no-prize winner!