cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: extensions in public URIs [was: RE: Variations on a theme by Cocoon]
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:51:49 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >
> > Gerard van Enk wrote:
> >
> > > Pier explained it.....Cocoon doesn't rely on extensions. We can keep the
> > > same extensions in public URIs for thousands of years. You just have to map
> > > it to the right extension using the Sitemap!!!!
> >
> > Yes, and not only that when you think of it.
> >
> > The SiteMap will also be able to solve "Legacy URIs", so that .pl and /cgi-bin
> > URIs can still be maintained, even if completely new technologies drive them
> > behind the scene.
>
> That's the power of the sitemap... :) (Better than mod_rewrite!)

_Much_ better. mod_rewrite was developed with _no_ control on
flexibility syndrome: everything you wanted to have it's there. Like
Sendmail.

But you have to learn how to use it and there are a huge number of ways
to do the same thing.

I like the idea and the power of mod_rewrite, I don't like it's design
phylosophy.

This is why the other project I'm insterested in is JAMES... which will
totally replace Sendmail in a few years. Trust me.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.