cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Variations on a theme by Cocoon
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:30:04 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > Gerard van Enk wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this what we want???? See <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI>
> >
> > Nope...
> >

> That was an absolute :o)
>
> I am not sure what Gerard is hinting, or what Pier is so negative about.

I just said that it was not what we wanted... I don't see how a document
on "why links should be preserved" fit in the scope of our discussion:
we're talking about how to produce generators...

> But my understanding from the articles, is URI persistence over time,
> long time. There are a few alerters in the article, such as use of
> extensions, topic mapping and exposure of technologies used.

And the Cocoon sitemap perfectly adresses this problem... Since all the
requests are made against a virtual uri space, whatever you do with your
sources, you can preserve the names in the URIs...
If today your news page is an XML edited by hand, you have

<process uri="news.html" source="news.xml">

if tomorrow you develop a nice XSP that gets the news out of a database
you'll just have to rewrite the rule:

<process uri="news.html" source="news.xsp">

And requests to "news.html" will be preserved... Same uri for the
client.

> These are valid concerns in the Cocoon context.  And while we develop
> Cocoon we must take into considerations that people will be able to use
> Cocoon in a URI persistent manner. This is largely an educational issue,
> more than a technical, except if Cocoon depends on extensions to
> function. We need to clearify in Cocoon what would be PUBLIC URIs and
> internal URIs. The former should be allowed to take the form described
> in the document above and elsewhere, whereas the internal ones are
> non-critical.

I believe this issue IS SOLVED with the sitemap... The sitemap allows
you to preserve the target URI space (the URIs requested by the client)
in a completely transparent  manner.

Now, I don't think I'm being negative, I just say that we need to focus
on what should be done, and not what have been already discussed and
solved...

	Pier