cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Variations on a theme by Cocoon
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:52:04 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Zvi Avraham wrote:
>

> > Sounds OK to me, but I wandering if possible to "linearize" entire path of
> > producer -> filter -> serializer
> > or
> > producer -> filter1 -> filter2 -> ... -> filterN -> serializer
> > compile all this into one .class file (Servlet) ?
> >
> > Then you even don't need Cocoon in runtime, only in design time (compile
> > time? :)
>
> This is not a clear cut case.
>
> First of all, this is already possible. Generate the Site content into static
> html files and have them served by the web server. Won't get faster than that
> in runtime.
>
> But, that is not the issue.
>
> If you have the pipeline above, one must evaluate the "cost of validation" CoV
> and "cost of regeneration" CoR versus "frequencies of change" FoC (dynamic
> content for instance) versus "Cost of Transport" CoT.
> If you are using smaller stages, the FoC will drop, CoV will be roughly the
> same and CoR will be reduced. CoT will be increased due to more transporting
> stages, but possibly a lot lower with SAX.
> One should possibly also introduce "Regeneration Latency", which will increase,
> possibly exceeding "Maximum Allowed Latency".
>
> This is a pretty complex formula, but I think it would be safe to say there are
> no clear and simple answers. It all depends on the scenario of static versus
> dynamic and semi-dynamic content, request frequency, content volume and other
> factors.

I totally agree.

The "producer production" case is needed when the frequency of change is
_very_ low compared to request frequency (I'm talking about production
environments, not developing evironments which simply have different
requirements).

Anyway this is the same old tune as for compiled servlet pages and
embraces all web technologies that are able to compile scripted pages.

So, while it is possible, in theory, to "linearize" a pipe into big
servlets, I see this done _only_ in very special cases... and, BTW, a
wiser use of Changeable/Modificable would do a much better performance
increase.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.