cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: Variations on a theme by Cocoon
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 06:08:29 GMT
Zvi Avraham wrote:

> Sounds OK to me, but I wandering if possible to "linearize" entire path of
> producer -> filter -> serializer
> or
> producer -> filter1 -> filter2 -> ... -> filterN -> serializer
> compile all this into one .class file (Servlet) ?
>
> Then you even don't need Cocoon in runtime, only in design time (compile
> time? :)

This is not a clear cut case.

First of all, this is already possible. Generate the Site content into static
html files and have them served by the web server. Won't get faster than that
in runtime.

But, that is not the issue.

If you have the pipeline above, one must evaluate the "cost of validation" CoV
and "cost of regeneration" CoR versus "frequencies of change" FoC (dynamic
content for instance) versus "Cost of Transport" CoT.
If you are using smaller stages, the FoC will drop, CoV will be roughly the
same and CoR will be reduced. CoT will be increased due to more transporting
stages, but possibly a lot lower with SAX.
One should possibly also introduce "Regeneration Latency", which will increase,
possibly exceeding "Maximum Allowed Latency".

This is a pretty complex formula, but I think it would be safe to say there are
no clear and simple answers. It all depends on the scenario of static versus
dynamic and semi-dynamic content, request frequency, content volume and other
factors.

Niclas