cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <brettmclaugh...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Class Naming, SAX 2.0, and Cocoon 2.0
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:05:10 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyway, Pier, I don't like the XXXFactory classes too, let's come up
> > > with better names...
> >
> > - ParserFactory
> > - ProducerFactory
> > - FilterFactory
> > - SerializerFactory
>
> I somewhat disagree with this issue.
> I think the names above are splendid. Straight to the point.
>
> What is the issue?
> Names used in underlying packages has the same name as the Cocoon
> classes, or vice versa??

The issue is not the names in a vaccuum.  The issue is that things
happen because these names conflict with names used by other packages;
and these aren't obscure names, these are very common ones.

Anyone that knows much about XML and Java at all sees ParserFactory and
immediately thinks of SAX.  I guarantee it, if they have any Java and
XML experience at all.  If they are up on things, they think SAX 1.0 and
"deprecated."  This isn't good, because it causes additional confusion,
and quite frankly, Cocoon is confusing enough because it's so far ahead
of its time.  let's not increase that confusion or the barrier for code
entry by not making some simple changes.

> >From the Cocoon programming users point of view (and that is the real
> 'victim'), does the SAX names show up in his/her face? If so, they should
> not be used in Cocoon where they show up up the same level.

Anyone programming Cocoon *better* know SAX, or else they aren't ready
to be coding Cocoon.  It (and DOM, and XML, and XSLT) need to be at
least familiar to the coder, or I get concerned.  Certainly many learn
these things as they go; but even in this case, are we aiding or
confusing that learning by using names?  If someone had a class named
Node (from DOM) or SAX (duh?), people would be confused; while this is
not *quite* so apparant, it still is a problem; as mentioned earlier, I
spent 10 minutes writing an e-mail before I saw the package name.

-Brett