cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject New Cocoon distribution
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2000 16:17:28 GMT
People,

since I'm not blind and I'd love more and more people to use Cocoon, I
decided to make installation, distribution and development simpler. I'm
not done, but here is what I'd like to do at the end.

1) Cocoon will contain all the basic required packages. This means
Xerces, Xalan, Fop and Ant.

2) The distribution will be done as a .zip file and .tar.gz file, the
first created on win32, the second created on Unix (with all the right
newlines in place)

3) The distribution is, as today, 3Mb long. Not so much, after all,
given the fact that Xalan alone is 2.5Mb and I remove the need for you
to download it!

4) All pieces are _not_ out of CVS things, but the last stable releases
of the products. If you want and you're able to, you can of course,
update them, or if you just don't care, use it out of the box.

5) I played around with the idea of having a java installer that does
magic tricks and installs over Jserv or Tomcat or whatever. Too much
work and too little time. Result: I'm not doing it, but I won't stop
anyone from giving this a try.

6) The installation instruction will be updated.

7) The build system will allow you to compile Cocoon without having to
download all the external packages. Read: Cocoon core will compile out
of the box. If you need to recompile things like LDAP or DCP you'll need
to download the required packages separately, but this won't stop you
anymore from compiling the whole thing.

Things that must be yet done:

1) write a TAR clone in Java for Ant (otherwise, we'll be system
dependent on tar.gz creation)
2) add the target reaction on class existance to Ant
3) update the installation instructions

Any help or comment will be appreciated.

Thank you.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.