cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: disable-output-escaping
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2000 02:02:59 GMT
Assaf Arkin wrote:

> > BTW, while I'm looking at the Cocoon code, the way Cocoon is currently set
> > up, I don't see how any of the xsl:output options are supported.  But I
> > could be misreading the code?
>
> Pier just explained to me why Cocoon does not support xsl:output. Simply
> it can run more than one transformation on the same document, not
> knowing which xsl:output to use, and the output actually depends on how
> Cocoon wants to present it based on its site map, not what the
> stylesheet has in mind.

That's exactly the point... I hate <xsl:output> because it tells xslt to
be what it's not, a serializer instead of a filter...

> What they do right now is figure out the xsl:output properties, do a
> transaformation or two, process the output if necessary, and as a last
> step send it to the serializers with the proper output.

I'd say... Forget about <xsl:output> and configure the instance of your
serializer accordingly to the results you want to have... I don't want
to patch all the code to see when <xsl:output> is there or not, merging
the different results, comparing them, making a whole mess of it, and
then reporting that in the first and nth stylesheet there are some
incompatibilities...

IMVHO what the W3C should be doing right now is removing that thing from
the XSLT spec and creating a new XML Serialization spec+API...

	Pier