cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <moc...@exa.unicen.edu.ar>
Subject Oracle PLSQL Producer (future direction) Was: R:R:HTML forms with dynamic values
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 18:51:29 GMT
Interesse Michelangelo wrote:

> > for
> > and
> > types
> > > >
> > > Thanks for your hint, but it doesn't exactly match with what I meant for
> > > complex HTML input forms fulfilled with default values, combo choice
> > values,
> > > and the likes.
> >
> >  OK.  The demo page only show small part of actual work with Oracle
> > technology.
> >
> >    At this moment i still develop complex web site at Resol/YPF Petrolium
> > company in Bs. As (www.ypf.com.ar), with Oracle Web Server 3.0.
> >   And I'll have a plan for moving part of actual PLSQL code to a
> > combination of
> > PLSQL (logic) + Cocoon/XSL (presentation).
> >   Best regards, Marcelo.
> Are you planning to use XSQL (from Oracle) in combination with Cocoon, or
> what ?

   I see that XSQL (from Oracle) and XSP (from Cocoon)  are good product but
they have open question as:   - Security topics, (connect to DB with dynamic
login)
   - Transaction by URL demarcation, (the model offers by Oracle Web Server is
the better model that I know).
   - Complex logic for generating XML, (imagine generate XML with part of data
from AS400 transparent gateway, it's impossible to materialize in SQL query).
   - Developer Skills, the developer that Know PLSQL/Java probably don't know
XSL, and then if you divide pure XML generation in Producers (Java or PLSQL)
and presentation logic in Cocoon by XSL, it's possible to reuse skill developer
of the company without take additional skills like (xsl). Only a few people
knows XSL technology to apply presentation part.

   At this moment I am working in modified OWSKiller to connect to Oracle Lite
4.0.
   With this change I'll obtain this feature:
   - Write Stored procedure that generate XML in Java. (Producer)
   - This Stored procedure run in Oracle 8i and Oracle Lite without changes.
   - An application for a big Server run in a notebook, or ultra thin client
that support Oracle lite (Windows CE, ...).
   - Use same programming model as Oracle Web Server, reuse actual know.
   - Use an different toolkit that generated XML (Jxtp toolkit in Java). This
application run faster than PLSQL because Java have better string processing.
   - Use cocoon for applying the style.
   - And so on....

   Best regards, Marcelo.